Challenges June 2020
Projects with Challenges
This is the list of Lightning Network related projects that registered for this HackSprint (please contact @rootzoll on twitter to add your project):
Github issues with label "hackathon": https://github.com/rootzoll/raspiblitz/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Ahackathon
Video helping you to get started with RaspiBlitz development: https://youtu.be/qTHDkFppsz0
Chatroom to get started: https://mm.fulmo.org/fulmo/channels/raspiblitz
frennkie build for the last hacksprint https://github.com/frennkie/django-ip2tor and its now integrated into the RaspiBlitz v1.6RC1 to test out. So this challange is for people that have a RaspiBlitz to play with and like to test the IP2Tor-Tunnel service and help with feedback.
Chatroom to get started: https://mm.fulmo.org/fulmo/channels/x-tor2ip-tunnelservice
Wiki Lightning Spam Protection
Chatroom to get started: https://mm.fulmo.org/fulmo/channels/media-wiki-spam-protection
Full node interface for standard banking software via FinTS
Merchants accepting Bitcoin (over Lightning) need an easy way to integrate transactions into their existing bookkeeping software. Like you can connect your bank account to your bookkeeping software by the FinTS it would be great of you can connect your Lightning Node (running on a RaspiBlitz) to that software and manage your Bitcoin Holdings as a "Foreign Currency Account".
The GitHub-Issue with details: https://github.com/rootzoll/raspiblitz/issues/1186
There is a 0.03 BTC bounty to create a small server software (running on a lightning node) that implements a subset of the FinTS standard to connect and manage your Lightning transactions with a FinTS supporting bookkeeping software.
Quickening - Room77 Point of Sale
Github issues starting with "Room77" https://github.com/arcbtc/M5StackSats/issues
Chatroom to get started: https://mm.fulmo.org/fulmo/channels/x-pos-room77-quickening
Chatroom to get started: https://mm.fulmo.org/fulmo/channels/x-lnbits
In a push to get lnbits new update out and extend its functionality, x3 0.03btc bounties are available for anyone developing extensions. If you're interested in making an extension, pop into the stream for a chat. If the community likes the idea, you can make it and on completion get one of the bounties!
see video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnHz6NbTgZg
A DIY-Lightning Coin ATM - coins in, sats out
Github issues with label "hackathon": github.com/21isenough/LightningATM (Python)
Chatroom to get started: https://mm.fulmo.org/fulmo/channels/x-lightningatm
Github issues with label "hackathon":github.com/ZeusLN/zeus (Typescript / React-Native)
Chatroom to get started: https://mm.fulmo.org/fulmo/channels/x-zeus
This is the new name for the cheapnode project: Building the cheapest possible bitcoin fullnode (+lightning and other services) on old Android phones.
Help wanted on Github issues with label "hacksprint"
Chatroom to get started: https://mm.fulmo.org/fulmo/channels/x-weenode
Need more ideas?
Looking for yet another idea to build a small LApp? Check out Ideas for LApps!
Adding your Project
Feel free to add a challenge yourself! Ask Jeff or Rootzoll on the Mattermost for the password to edit the Wiki-Page. If you have a GitHub Repo best practice is to put the label "hackathon" (yellow) next to issues you like people to join/help for the weekend. If you added a challenge please also get in touch on Mattermost for more information and collaboration.
Projects from last Hacksprint (maybe joining again)
Chatroom to get started: https://mm.fulmo.org/fulmo/channels/x-keysendsendmany
Develop a C# LNURL-AUTH library which can integrate with .NET (MVC) websites.
Chatroom to get started: https://mm.fulmo.org/fulmo/channels/x-zapread
Rust Lightning network node
Another LN node? Why we need it?
The problem with the existing Lightning node implementations is their very limited extensibility for such things as:
- future LN upgrades (channel factories, pay-to-ec-point, taproot),
- protocols on top of LN (layer 3), like DLCs on LN or proposed Lightspeed payments, which require modification on the structure of the commitment transaction.
Last time we started building new rust LN node based on LNP/BP library — and this time we will continue the challenge! We will work on further node development; for more details you can refer our project backlog and todo issues here: https://github.com/LNP-BP/lnp-node/projects/1
In brief, we will
- update to use the latest version of rust-lightning, that had migrated on new rust-bitcoin type system
- update the code to use the lates version of rust-lnpbp library
- improve multi-thread architecture, in particular message bus with ZMQ
- complete BOLT-1 implementation
- (optionally) implement gossip protocol
Chatroom to get started: https://mm.fulmo.org/fulmo/channels/x-rust-ln-node
RTL (Ride The Lightning)
Github issues with label 'hackathon': https://github.com/Ride-The-Lightning/RTL/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Ahackathon
Chatroom to get started: https://mm.fulmo.org/fulmo/channels/x-rtl-ride-the-lightning
User:Cdecker is available on Mattermost for mentoring of c-lightning projects. Feel free to propose your own ideas, and we'll help you design and implement them :-)
Some ideas for projects / challenges:
- Hardware wallet integration: c-lightning has supported external funding via the `fundchannel_start` and `fundchannel_complete` RPC methods for quite some time, in addition the `close_to` parameter allows you to specify where funds should be sent once the channel closes. These can be combined to have all on-chain funds sourced from a hardware wallet and, after they were borrowed to operate a channel, they can be returned to the hardware wallet. The idea here is to write a plugin that interacts with the hardware wallet to fund channels, so funds are only temporarily controlled by c-lightning.
- `hsm_secret` generation from a seed-phrase: c-lightning will securely generate a random seed when first starting a new node. Given the lack of functional backup, and the seed not being sufficient to restore all the state, c-lightning has so not included any seed-phrase to restore the seed. However due to recent improvements both in backups and replicated DB backends, it would be great to also safely store the `hsm_secret` using existing tooling, such as paper backups, encrypted BIP39 seed-phrases, or even steel backups. Goal of this challenge is the creation of a launcher or plugin that takes a seed-phrase and generates the associated `hsm_secret` file.
- Trampoline Proof-of-concept: Trampoline routing is a recent proposal to outsource some aspects of route-finding to another node in the neighborhood of the sending node. This is useful for nodes that may be unable to sync the network topology through gossip, or do not have time to sync before they need to send out a payment, e.g., mobile nodes. Using c-lightning's ability to implement custom protocol extensions (`custommsg`) and the ability to create routing onions with arbitrary payloads, you can implement a fast gossiping extension with which nodes announce their ability to route on behalf of others, and the sender to encapsulate the instructions for a trampoline node (where to go and how much to send).
- Networked RPC interface: c-lightning is purposefully not exposing its JSON-RPC over the network, in order not to mandate a specific method of interaction. Plugins can take care of exposing the API in a variety of ways (grpc, JSON-RPC, REST, ...) and they can also be used to enforce arbitrary access policies using the `rpc_command` hook. These two aspects can be handled independently, i.e., one plugin exposes the API over some transport while another plugin enforces the authentication and authorization required to access the API. This in turn allows to mix and match arbitrary networked API endpoints and authentication mechanisms. Goal of this challenge is to come up with a generic way to have one plugin expose the API, and pass along any authentication information that was submitted with the request, so another plugin can enforce access policies.
- Backup plugin: https://github.com/lightningd/plugins/tree/master/backup Currently it supports only backup to the local file. There are several rooms for improvement, contact User:mrostecki if interested.
- "partial file" backend - saving each database change/transaction to a separate file, which will be helpful for ideas below
- PGP backend - based on the "partial file" plugin, which encrypts each file
- Dropbox, Google Drive backends - uploading backups to Dropbox and Google Drive, based on "partial file" backend (to not upload a huge file every time), with optional usage of PGP
Executing a DLC (discreet log contract) on Rust Lightning
A discreet log contract is a protocol that allows for the use of oracles in bitcoin. They have been designed such that they can be lifted off of the bitcoin protocol into the Lightning Network.
The current discreet log contract spec is available here: https://github.com/discreetlogcontracts/dlcspecs
Here is the github issue describing the work we are trying to accomplish this weekend to execute a DLC on the Lightning Network (using Rust Lightning):
Please join us in this chatroom: https://mm.fulmo.org/fulmo/channels/rust-ln-dlc